NICOLAI J. FOSS
Insegnamenti a.a. 2016/2017
40089 BUSINESS ECONOMICS & FIRM BEHAVIOUR 2
Master of science (economics), Copenhagen University 1989; Phd (management), Copenhagen Business School, 1993
Professor (“Ordinario”) of Organization Theory and Human Resource Management at the Bocconi University, Milano. Foss was a professor at the Copenhagen Business School until 2016. He has held part-time and visiting professorships at the Warwick Business School, Norwegian School of Economics, Lund University, Luiss Guido Carli-Roma, ERC Rennes, and Agder University. Foss was a department head for several years at the Copenhagen Business School Foss has served as a member of the Senate of the Copenhagen Business School, as a panel member of the European Research Council, Bocconi University Tenure Review Committee. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Strategic Management Society, and is a member of Academia Europaea. He was listed as the “best Danish economist” by the Danish newspaper, Børsen, in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Aree di interesse scientifico
Organization design theory particularly as it applied to strategic management and entrepreneurship issues; organizational economics; microfoundations of management thought.
Philosophy of social science.
- (with Tina Saebi). “Fifteen Years of Research on Business Model Innovation.” Journal of Management (forthcoming).
- (with Jacob Lyngsie). “The More, the Merrier? The Role of Gender in Explaining Entrepreneurial Outcomes in Established Firms.” Strategic Management Journal (forthcoming).
- (with Francesco Rullani and Lars Frederiksen). “Problem-solving Behaviors in Community Forms.” Strategic Management Journal (forthcoming).
- (with Libby Weber) “Putting Opportunism in the Back Seat: Bounded Rationality, Costly Conflict and Hierarchical Forms.” Academy of Management Review, 41: 41-79 (2016).
- (with Teppo Felin and Rob Ployhart). “Microfoundations for Management Research.” Academy of Management Annals 9: 575–632 (2015).
- (with Niklas Hallberg). “How Symmetrical Assumptions Facilitate Theoretical Advance in Strategic Management: the Case of the Resource-based View.” Strategic Management Journal, 35: 903–913 (2014).
- (with Jacob Lyngsie and Shaker Zahra). “The Role of External Knowledge Sources and Organizational Design in the Process of Opportunity Exploitation.” Strategic Management Journal, 34: 1453–1471 (2013).
- (with Christian Asmussen and Torben Pedersen). “Knowledge Transfer and Accommodation Effects in Multinational Corporations: Evidence from European Subsidiaries” Journal of Management, 39: 1397-1429 (2013).
- (with Anna Jonsson). “International Expansion Through Flexible Replication: Learning From the Internationalization Experience of IKEA,” Journal of International Business Studies 42, 1079–1102 (2011).
- (with Mia Reinholt and Torben Pedersen). “Why a Central Network Position Isn’t Enough: the Moderating Roles of Motivation and Ability for Knowledge Sharing in Employee Networks.” Academy of Management Journal 54: 1277-1297. (2011)
- (with Siegwart Lindenberg). „Managing Motivation for Joint Production: The Role of Goal Framing and Governance Mechanisms.” Academy of Management Review 36: 500-525 (2011).
- (with Keld Laursen and Torben Pedersen) “Linking Customer Interaction and Innovation: The Mediating Role of New Organizational Practices,” Organization Science, 22: 980-999. (2011).
- “Micro-foundations for Resource-based Theory.” Journal of Management, 37: 1413-1428 (2011).
- (with Henk Volberda and Marjorie Lyles). “Absorbing the Concept of Absorptive Capacity: How To Realize Its Potential in the Organization Field,” Organization Science, 21: 931-951 (2010).