20160 - CORPORATE STRATEGY
Course taught in English
Lezioni della classe erogate in presenza
Corporate Strategy is concerned with the formulation and implementation of strategy within large, complex companies, in particular in diversified companies managing multiple businesses or business models.
Core concepts and frameworks for strategic management in the diversified corporation.
- Acquire competence in applying the concepts, frameworks and tools required for analyzing corporate strategy.
- Recognize and understand the relationships between strategy, competitive context, organizational structure, management systems, and leadership style within the large corporation and appreciate the tasks involved in implementing strategy.
- Be more aware of the broader economic and social forces currently impacting large corporations and the ways in which companies are responding to these challenges.
- Gain familiarity with the strategic management issues that concern executives.
- Develop your skills in strategic analysis as well as oral and written communication.
- Analyze multifaceted problems and opportunities in complex, international corporations and to propose appropriate solutions.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Exercises (exercises, database, software etc.)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Individual assignments
- Group assignments
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
Class sessions are interactive. Many classes are devoted to case discussion where the task of analyzing the issues in the case are undertaken by the class as a whole. In other classes we expecting students to contribute their ideas on the issues being discussed and examples drawn from their personal experiences and from reading the business press. These classes might involve a discussion of academic articles or other in-class activities.
All of the learning objectives are assessed by all of the assessment methods.
- The class discussion of cases allows students to practice and be evaluated for their ability to apply concepts from class and readings to actual business cases. In addition, they are assessed for their ability to communicate their ideas while speaking and discussing in the group.
- The homeworks on business cases for class assess similar understanding of concepts and ability to apply them to real world cases, only in written language rather than spoken.
- The final project requires the teams to identify the business problems at a real world company and gather information about these problems. Thus this project requires synthesis and problem solving as well as analysis and deduction. The students are evaluated for their ability to apply concepts from class to deepen our understanding of these problems and suggest solutions. The teams are assessed on both their written communication of the project in a written report as well as in an oral presentation in class.
Final written exam covering all the materials of the course, aimed at assessing whether students have achieved the required knowledge of concepts, of the relationships among them, of the economic and social forces of the external environment, of the strategic management issues, and whether students have developed adequate skills for strategic analysis and for proposing approriate solutions.
Readings and cases uploaded on Bboard plus a course textbook to be determined.