20356 - PRECORSO DI STATISTICA / STATISTICS - PREPARATORY COURSE
Orario di ricevimento / Student consultation hours
Orario delle lezioni / Class timetable
Calendario esami / Exam timetable
Per la lingua del corso verificare le informazioni sulle classi/
For the instruction language of the course see class group/s below
Vai alle classi / Go to class group/s: 2
Class group/s taught in English
The course is meant to provide students with the elements of probability theory and statistics whose knowledge is required for the mandatory Advanced Statistics course of the Economic and Social Sciences MS program. We assume knowledge of the content of a basic undergraduate Statistics course such as, for example, Bocconi’s Statistics 30001 course.
- Common distributions (Poisson, Inverse binomial, Geometric, Gamma, Beta) and calculation of their moments.
- Transformations of discrete and continuous random variables.
- Random vectors: joint, marginal, and conditional distributions. Bivariate transformations.
- Convergence in probability and in distributions of sequences of random variables.
- Sampling from normal populations: sampling distribution of the sample mean and variance (Student’s t distribution and Chi-squared distribution).
- Face-to-face lectures
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
- N. MUKHOPADHYAY, Probability and Statistical Inference, M. Dekker, 2000 OR
- A.M. MOOD, F.A. GRAYBILL, D.C. BOES, Introduction to the theory of statistics, McGraw Hill, 1974.
Testi d'esame & Articoli on line (verifica disponibilità in Biblioteca) / Exam textbooks & Online Articles (check availability at the Library)