20495 - HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT AND POLICY
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Lezioni della classe erogate in presenza
Health is a critical factor for economic development and it is an essential component of human wellbeing. At the same time, the healthcare sector is under pressure all over the world to control costs and improve efficiency and quality of services. This course is designed to familiarize students with basic concepts and ideas concerning the distribution of health and illness in society, the organization and financing of the health care system, and the functioning of healthcare organizations. The course targets those students who want to understand global health policy issues and who want to acquire specialized skills in the area of healthcare management.
The course addresses management challenges and policy issues emerging at international level as well as in the Italian context.
Part A: Health and Health Care policies.
- Health and its determinants.
- Healthcare Financing.
- Healthcare systems of US, Germany, UK, Italy and China.
- Long term and social care.
Part B: Management of Health & Social Care organizations.
- Institutional arrangements and organisational structures of health care organisations.
- Professionalism: organisational behaviour and human resource management in health care.
- Management systems, tools and techniques for healthcare organisations.
- Emerging managerial roles: controller, operations manager, human resources manager, risk manager, marketing and fund-raising manager, buyer, business planner, etc.
Part C: industries related to health sector.
- Business-government relations in the healthcare field.
- Innovation and new technologies.
- Consulting skills for the healthcare sector.
- Identify health determinants and policies to improve performance of healthcare systems.
- Summarize the main features of healthcare systems.
- List main organizational forms in healthcare.
- Illustrate the main management systems adopted by healthcare organizations.
- Compare key features of healthcare systems.
- Use performance criteria to evaluate key dimensions of healthcare systems (funidng, institutional arrangements, payments methods)
- Evaluate different organizational models and management systems used for delivering health services.
- Develop management and politcy initiatives.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
During the course the instructors present incidents/cases to discuss major management and policies issues faced by healthcare systems nowadays. Students are asked to work in groups of 3/4 to prepare and deliver a presentation on a topic agreed with the instructors.
- Group Assigment: 30%
- Written individual exam: 70%
- Written individual exam: 100%
The course uses article, book chapters and other sources, which are listed in the detailed syllabus of the course. All course materials, including slides and readings, are posted on Bboard.