30006 - SISTEMA FINANZIARIO / FINANCIAL MARKETS AND INSTITUTIONS
Classes 31 and 32 are reserved to exchange students
Per la lingua del corso verificare le informazioni sulle classi/
For the instruction language of the course see class group/s below
Class group/s taught in English
Lezioni della classe erogate in presenza
Mathematics (applied), Management, Accounting and Financial Statement Analysis.
The main objective of this course is to provide the students with a general understanding of the different functions performed by financial markets and institutions and their role in the economic system. We start by giving a brief overview of the functions of the financial system and its connections to the real economy. We then study the functioning of financial markets and the main financial instruments. Finally, we study the economics of different types of financial institutions.
- The first part of the course analyzes in detail the characteristics of the major financial assets, and describes the institutional characteristics of the markets in which these assets are traded.
- The second part of the course studies in detail the objectives as well as the organization of the major financial intermediaries (commercial banks, investment banks, mutual funds) that allow to match demand and supply of funds when securities markets do not function perfectly.
- Understand the functioning of financial markets and the role of financial institutions within the economic system.
- Interpret and assess the role of financial institutions and their behavior within the economic system.
- Face-to-face lectures
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
There is one final exam.
There will also be four graded problem sets. These are meant to help you follow the material of the course. The grade in these tests will count for 20% of the final grade. They will be posted online by 23:00 on four Fridays written above. The solutions must be handed in by the following Wednesday at 23:00. Correct answers will also be posted. The home assignments and their solutions will also be posted in Blackboard. The grades in the problems sets are valid until September 2020.
- F.S. MISHKIN , S.G. EAKINS, Financial Markets & Institutions, Pearson Education, 2018, 9th edition.
- Lecture notes and other materials are made available online on the course webpage.