30006 - SISTEMA FINANZIARIO / FINANCIAL MARKETS AND INSTITUTIONS
Classes 31 and 32 are reserved to exchange students
Per la lingua del corso verificare le informazioni sulle classi/
For the instruction language of the course see class group/s below
Class group/s taught in English
Mathematics (applied), Management, Accounting and Financial Statement Analysis.
The main objective of this course is to provide the students with a general understanding of the different functions performed by financial markets and institutions and their role in the economic system. We start by giving a brief overview of the functions of the financial system and its connections to the real economy. We then study the functioning of financial markets and the main financial instruments. Finally, we study the economics of different types of financial institutions.
- The first part of the course analyzes in detail the characteristics of the major financial assets, and describes the institutional characteristics of the markets in which these assets are traded.
- The second part of the course studies in detail the objectives as well as the organization of the major financial intermediaries (commercial banks, investment banks, mutual funds) that allow to match demand and supply of funds when securities markets do not function perfectly.
- Understand the functioning of financial markets and the role of financial institutions within the economic system.
- Interpret and assess the role of financial institutions and their behavior within the economic system.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Online lectures
- Individual assignments
Face to face lectures will be recorded and posted online. There will be four online problem sets to allow students to practice.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
There is one final exam. The exam will assess the extent to which students understand their workings of major financial markets and institutions and their role in the economy by asking questions on the notions covered in class and in the book. The questions will have both theoretical and applied content.
- F.S. MISHKIN , S.G. EAKINS, Financial Markets & Institutions, Pearson Education, 2018, 9th edition.
- Lecture notes and other materials are made available online on the course webpage.
Testi d'esame & Articoli on line (verifica disponibilità in Biblioteca) / Exam textbooks & Online Articles (check availability at the Library)