30416 - BIG DATA AND DATABASES
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 25
Basic descriptive and inferential statistics knowledge and basic computer skills.
The course provides an overview of data management architectures and analytics procedures aimed at organising, describing and modeling Big Data (structured and unstructured). The contents of the course covers both technical aspects of data management / analytics and topics related to analysis managerial evaluation (how to translate the outputs into meaningful business insights).
- Introduction to data management and analytics.
- Data management architectures: relational databases (OLTP, Data warehouse and SQL language).
- Data management architectures: Big data and NoSQL databases (distributed file system, Hadoop, Spark and Data Lake concept).
- Data analytics: Data understanding and data preparation.
- Data analytics: Models and statistical techniques applied to Big Data.
- Regression and classification trees.
- Ensemble methods (random forest and boosted trees).
- Logistic regression.
- Supervised Artificial Neural Networks.
- Data analytics: Models' performance evaluation.
Get the following competences:
- Big Data ingestion and management.
- Data preparation and cleaning.
- Machine learning algorithms application.
- Machine learning model evaluation.
- Improve his skills to manage and to take advantages of the huge availability of data nowadays produced by a great variety of sources.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Exercises (exercises, database, software etc.)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
Two different approaches are used: theoretical and applicative.
- A number of data ingestion procedures and machine learning data analysis case histories are shown, on Big and Small Data, using specific data management anf machine learning software.
- At the end of the course, students are able to reply all the procedures and analysis by themselves.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
The assignments assess the student's ability to perform data analysis. The oral exam aims mainly to assess the knowledge and the understanding of the procedures required for data ingestion and management and the main features of the machine learning algorithms presented in the course.
The oral exam aims mainly to assess the knowledge and the understanding of the procedures required for data ingestion and management, the main features of the machine learning algorithms presented in the course and the ability to interpret the content of a machine learning software output.
- M. KUHN, K. JOHNSON, Applied predictive modeling, Springer, 2013.
- P. WILTON, J. W. COLBY, Beginning SQL, Wrox, March 04, 2005.
- N. DASGUPTA, Practical Big Data Analytics, Packt Publishing, 2018.
- Teachers' slides.