5229 - MANAGEMENT CONSULTING
Vai alle classi: 31
Classe 31: FERDINANDO PENNAROLA
Presentazione generale del corso:
Consulting to management has been acknowledged as one of the new and successful professions grown up in the past century. The course will highlight three different aspects of the management consulting profession. First, the industry, its players, their services and the way to compete and approach to customers. The course will also take a look at the history of the profession in Italy and abroad as a starting point to picture the present situation of the industry. The second, the consulting process and professional assistance to clients: how consultants market their services, how the preliminary offer is made, what the key factors are in the development of the client - consultant relationship, how the implementation phase is seeked and carried out by consultants. The third, the individual skills and aptitudes required for professional development in the management consulting sector.
The course will not emphasize management models and tools developed in other courses such as business policy, marketing, organization, accounting. The main learning objective of the course is underlining the process side of the consulting business, which is in fact not highlighted in previous learning programmes. The course will use a variety of pedagogical approaches: case studies and role plays are frequently used in many sessions. The course will also give the floor to prominent guest speakers from the management consulting profession.
Programma del corso:
- Characteristics of the MC industry today as a result of the historical development over the past 40 years.
- Professional profile and skills attributes of management consultants.
- The management consulting process: understanding the client needs and preparing the preliminary proposal.
- Marketing of professional services.
- How consultants use the Internet resources to establish their presence in the on-line business and innovate in client service.
- Conducting effective consulting processes: acquiring data, delivering presentations, managing the delicate politics of the change in the client organization.
- Human resource management and organizational structures in management consulting firms.
- Consulting is an ethical business: resolving ethical dilemmas that you can't avoid.
- Consulting to small business.
- Economics of MC firms.
F. PENNAROLA, The Process Side of the Management Consulting Profession, Milano, EGEA.
P. MCKENNA, D. MAISTER, First among equals: how to manage a group of professionals, NY, The Free Press, 2002.
Students attending the course will have the opportunity to work during the course with Lotus Notes groupware technologies, like major MC firms do in the real business. Attending students will be evaluated on their active participation during the course, on their content and process ability to work in team and conduct a simulated consulting project, on a written individual final exam.
Non attending students
Students not attending the course will take an oral exam based on the textbooks above.