20497 - BUSINESS AND POLITICS
CLMG - M - IM - MM - AFC - CLEFIN-FINANCE - CLELI - ACME - DES-ESS - EMIT - GIO
Department of Social and Political Sciences
Course taught in English
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - M
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - IM
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - MM
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - AFC
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - CLEFIN-FINANCE
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - CLELI
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - ACME
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - DES-ESS
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - EMIT
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01) - GIO
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/01)
The course provides an overview of business and political strategy in non-market environments. We examine typical non-market issues facing professionals operating in highly political environments, such as manager in large international private or public firms, in international organizations, ONG or governmental bodies. We use economic principles and political analysis to develop a conceptual framework for investigating risks and opportunities arising from governments and politics, and to define effective business and political strategies. Topics include electoral politics, regulation and antitrust, international trade policy, activist and the media, environment and crisis.
Course Content Summary
- Tools of Strategic Behaviour. Learn to think strategically from sports, politics and wars. Introduction to simple concepts in game theory.
- How does Politics work? Introduction to positive analysis of political decision markings. Electoral politics and campaign contributions. Lobbying and interest groups. Reforms and crisis. Democracies and non-democracies.
- Government and markets regulations and the politics of antitrust. Environmental issues, tax policy and intellectual property.
- Non-Market issues. Business and the role of media. Activist and social norms. Private politics and social pressure. Handling crisis, ethics and the role of reputation.
- Global Non-Market Strategy. The International politics of trade policy. The political economy of the European Union. Culture and politcs in China and Japan.
Detailed Description of Assessment Methods
Exams are written. Students can take either a partial and a final exam, or a general exam. Exams consist of open questions and case studies.
For attending students
Class participation and case study discussions count for 40% of the final grade, while the exams count for the remaining 60%.
To qualify as attending students, attendance to at least 80% of the case studies is required.
For non attending students
Evaluation on exams only.
- D. BARON, Business and its Environment, Pearson.
- A.K. DIXIT, B.J. NALEBUFF, The art of strategy: a game theorist's guide to success in business & life, WW Norton & Company, 2008.
Last change 23/03/2017 10:40