50068 - NO PROFIT ORGANIZATION LAW
CLMG - M - IM - MM - AFC - CLAPI - CLEFIN-FINANCE - CLELI - ACME - DES-ESS - EMIT
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
The course aims at analyzing the legal and managerial profiles of the Third sector, an area of growing importance nowadays both in Italy and abroad. Internationally speaking the Third sector employs nearly 4% of economically active population, produces the 5% of Western Countries combined GDP and, only in Italy, counts more than 220.000 organizations, with about 700.000 employees and a global business volume of 540 billion Euros. These few figures justify the need for legal and managerial competencies of professionals involved in non-profit organizations. Non-profit corporations incresingly look for external advise to face their juridical, administrative and managerial challenges. Advise is sought, for example, during the incorporation process, the drafting of commercial agreements, or in relation with Human Resources strategies and hiring process. Given the fragmented and peculiar structure of the Third sector, consultants are also required to know about the peculiarities of the managerial processes of non-profit organizations. The course responds to these needs, dealing not only with the legal frame of non-profit organizations, but also with some of the main managerial aspects. The course aims at being highly interactive switching from traditional lectures to case discussions about non-profit governance and strategy; non-profit Italian managers are invited as guest speakers. Both international and Italian frameworks are investigated in a comparative perspective.
- The non-profit world: a comparative perspective.
- An Italian Overview: associations, foundations and committees.
- The process of incorporation of a non-profit organization.
- The role of cooperatives in the non-profit area.
- Some fiscal aspects.
- Other forms of non-profit organization: social enteprise, trust, fondazioni di partecipazione.
- Social Enterprise in the US and UK: a short overview.
Social Finance: a short overview.
- Non-profit management and governance.
- Organizational lifecycles in non-profit organizations.
Strategy and sociale reporting.
- Human resource management and related issues.
- Profile and Stakeholders management: communication, branding, partnership and resource mobilization.
Ethics in non-profit organizations.
Oral exam. Students are required to elaborate some projects related to the activity of non-profit organisations.
- Course handout
- M. Allison, J. Kaye, Strategic Planning for Non-profit Organizations: A Practical Guide and Workbook, Hoboken:NJ, Wiley and Sons, 2005
- Other materials are made available at the beginning of the course