Facebook pixel
Info
Foto sezione
Logo Bocconi

Course 2008-2009 a.y.

8362 - COMMUNICATION AND EVENT MANAGEMENT


ACME-LS - MM-LS - AFC-LS - CLAPI-LS - CLEFIN-LS - CLELI-LS - DES-LS - CLG-LS - M-LS - IM-LS - EMIT-LS
Department of Marketing

Course taught in English


Go to class group/s: 31 - 32

ACME-LS (12 credits - II sem. - CO)
Course Director:
DIEGO RINALLO

Classes: 31 (II sem.)
Instructors:
Class 31: DIEGO RINALLO


Course Objectives

In the last years, firms have innovated their communication mix, and are increasingly investing in events on the one hand, and in the opportunities offered by new technologies to transmit the same messages through different media (e.g., TV, internet, mobile phones). The course aims to provide conceptual models and instruments to manage effectively these dynamics. The first part of the course is about events: typical goals, management approaches, and effectiveness conditions. The most frequent typologies (e.g., trade fairs, fashion shows, sponsorships, new product launches) are also dealt with. The second part is instead dedicated to the so-called cross-media communication, which permit to take advantage of the features of each medium and maintain at the same time message coherence. Besides a limited number of theoretical lectures, the course draws upon sessions supported by case studies, field projects, and participation by guest speakers.


Course Content Summary

Events and live communication

  • Event Industries: Actors and competencies;
  • Event production: Fundamental decisions (goals, targets, messages, budgets) and managerial processes;
  • Event fruition between experiences and rituality;
  • Typologies of business communication events: trade fairs, fashion shows, sponsorships, new product launches.

Cross-Media Communication

  • Basics and enabling technological factors
  • Media specificities: style and language aspects;
  • Role of cross-media communication in entertainment industries;
  • Cross media production and management.

Detailed Description of Assessment Methods

Attending students

  • The exam consists of two field projects in small groups, related to the two parts of the course, which represent 60% of the final evaluation;
  • An individual final exam, which represents the remaining 40%, will be about textbooks (selected chapters), readings, cases, guest speakers and instructors' slides.

Non Attending Students

The exam is in written form and is about  textbooks.


Textbooks

Textbook to be announced.

Last change 30/04/2008 15:26

MM-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - AFC-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - CLAPI-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - CLEFIN-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - CLELI-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - DES-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - CLG-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - M-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - IM-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI) - EMIT-LS (6 credits - II sem. - AI)
Course Director:
DIEGO RINALLO

Classes: 32 (II sem.)
Instructors:
Class 32: TO BE DEFINED


Course Objectives

The course aims to provide participants with theoretical frameworks and operational logics for the design and management of live communication activities, which have been recently achieving an increasing relevance in firms' communication practices. The course, which adopts a managerial approach, analyzes the role events may play in the different areas of business communication.
Management models and conditions of effectiveness are also dealt with.
Besides a limited number of theoretical lectures, the course draws upon sessions supported by case studies, students' research, and participation by guests speakers.


Course Content Summary
  • Event industries: Actors and competencies;
  • Producing an event:
    • Fundamental decisions: goal setting, targets, messages, budgeting;
    • The event management process.
  • Consuming events: Crafting visitors' experiences;
  • Trade shows and other collective marketing events;
  • Event sponsorship;
  • Other typologies of events.

Detailed Description of Assessment Methods

Attending Students

  • The exam consists of a field project in small groups, which will represent 60% of the total evaluation, and an individual written exam on textbooks (selected chapters), readings, cases, guest speakers and instructors' slides, for the remaining 40%.

Non Attending Students

  • The exam is in written form and is about textbooks.

Textbooks

Textbooks to be announced.

Last change 29/04/2008 16:55