Insegnamenti a.a. 2020/2021
40054 MICROECONOMICS 3
40411 ADVANCED MICROECONOMICS 3
40982 READING GROUP IN ECONOMICS
Born in León (Spain), January 1957
Married to Mirèia Carol i Gres
Four children: Manuel, Ferrán, Diego, Olalla
Licenciado en Económicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, June 1980.
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Minnesota, August 1984. Thesis supervisor: Professor Leonid Hurwicz.
3.2 Teaching and research positions
Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota, 1982-84.
Assistant Professor, Universidad de Alicante, 1984-85.
Research Fellow, Instituto de Análisis Económico, C.S.I.C, Barcelona, 1986-90.
Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, 1987-88.
Research Fellow, Institute for Advanced Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1989-90.
Research Fellow, Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna, 1993.
Visiting Scholar, University of California-San Diego, 1995.
Visiting Scholar, Boston University, 1996.
Visiting Professor, Cornell University, 2006-7.
Professor, Universidad de Alicante, since 1990 (currently on leave).
Professor, University of Essex, 2004-2013.
Professor, European University Institute (Florence), 2007-2013
Professor, Università Bocconi, since September 2013
3.3 Editorial activities
- Editorial board, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems: 2002-4
- Co-editor, Spanish Economic Review: 2001-5
- Associate editor, International Journal of Game Theory: 2007-
- Associate editor, Games and Economic Behavior: 2010-
- Guest editor, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 2012
- Associate editor, Network Science, 2012-
- Associate editor, Journal of Complex Networks, 2012-
- Guest editor, Operations Research, 2014
- Co-editor, Network Science: 2014-
3.4 Professional recognition
- Honorary Fellow of the Spanish Economic Association 2009-
- Fellow of the Society for the Advance of Economic Theory, 2011.
- Fellow of the Game Theory Society, 2017-
- Member of the Council, Game Theory Society, 2011-2017.
- Member of the Council, Society for Economic Science with Heterogenous Interacting Agents, 2011-
- FUE prize for research in economics, 2011.
Aree di interesse scientifico
Learning and bounded rationality
- Complex Social Networks, Econometric Society Monograph Series, Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Economics and the Theory of Games, Cambridge University Press, August 2003.
- Economía y Juegos, Antoni Bosch Editor, March 2000.
- Evolution, Games, and Economic Behavior, Oxford University Press, September 1996 (reprinted 1997).
5.2 Articles: English publications
- "Coalition bargaining in repeated games," forthcoming in International Economic Review (joint with Arnold Polanski).
- “Social networks and the process of globalization," forthcoming in The Review of Economic Studies (joint with Georg Duernecker).
- "Bargaining frictions in trading networks,” forthcoming in The B. E. Journal of Theoretical Economics (joint with Arnold Polanski).
- “Contagious disruptions and complexity traps in economic development,” Nature Human Behavior 1, 2017 (joint with Charles Brummitt, Kenan Huremovic, Paolo Pin, and Matthew Bonds).
- “Risk-sharing and contagion in networks,” The Review of Financial Studies 30, 2017 (joint with Antonio Cabrales and Piero Gottardi).
- "Spreading of social contagions without key players," 2017 World Wide Web Conference (joint with G. Korkmaz, C.J. Kuhlman, S.S. Ravi).
- “A simple model of homophily in social networks," European Economic Review 90, 2016, (joint with Sergio Currarini and Jesse Matheson).
- "Links and actions in interplay," in Bramoullé, Y., A. Galeotti, and B. Rogers (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Economic Networks, Oxford: Oxford University Presss.
- "Can social contagion spread without key players?" in Proceedings of 2016 IEEE International Conference on Behavioral, Economic, and Socio-Cultural Computing (BESC), Durhan, NC, NC, USA (joint with G. Korkmaz, C.J. Kuhlman).
- "Approximate contagion model of common knowledge in Facebook" in Proceedings of the 27th ACM Conference of Hypertext and Social Media, 2016, New York, NY, USA (joint with G. Korkmaz, C.J. Kuhlman, S.S. Ravi).
- "Social Cohesion and the evolution of altruism," Games and Economic Behavior 92, 2015 (joint with José Antonio García).
- "Leave and let leave: A sufficient condition to explain the evolutionary emergence of cooperation, " Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 46, 2014 (joint with Luis R. Izquierdo and Segismundo S. Izquierdo).
- "Network Organizations, " Journal of Complex Networks 1, 2013.
- "Collective action through common knowledge using a Facebook model" in Proceedings of the 2014 ACM Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (joint with G. Korkmaz, C.J. Kuhlman, A. Marathe, M.V. Marathe).
- "Being close to grow faster: a network-based empirical analysis of economic globalization, " in Network for Prosperity: Connecting Development Knowledge beyond 2015, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, 2012 (joint with Moritz Meyer and Georg Duernecker).
- "Error Cascades in Observational learning: an Experiment on the Chinos Game," Games and Economic Behavior 73, 2011 (joint with Francesco Feri, Miguel A. Meléndez-Jiménez, and Giovanni Ponti).
- "Threshold learning dynamics in social networks," 6, 2011 PLoS ONE (joint with Juan Carlos González, Víctor Eguiluz, Matteo Marsili, and Maxi San Miguel).
- "Vertex centralities in input-output networks reveal the structure of modern economies," Physical Review E 83, 2011 (joint with Florian Blöchl, Fabian J. Theis, and Eric Fisher).
- "Complex networks and local externalities: a strategic approach," International Journal of Economic Theory 7, 2011 (joint with Andrea Galeotti).
- "The Option to Leave: Conditional Dissociation in the Evolution of Cooperation," Journal of Theoretical Biology 267, 2010 (joint with Segismundo S. Izquierdo and Luis R. Izquierdo).
- "Network games," Review of Economic Studies 77, 2010 (joint with Andrea Galeotti, Sanjeev Goyal, Matthew Jackson, and Leeat Yariv).
- "Peer effects and peer avoidance: the diffusion of behavior in coevolving networks" Journal of the European Economic Association 8, 2010 (joint with Constanza Fosco and Matteo Marsili).
- "Economic networks," Science 325, 2009 (joint with Frank Schweitzer, Giorgio Fagiolo, Didier Sornette, Alessandro Vespignani, and Douglas R. White).
- "Optimal information transmission in organizations: search and congestion," Review of Economic Design 13, 2009 (joint with Alex Arenas, Antonio Cabrales, Abert Díaz-Guilera, and Roger Guimerà).
- "Economic Networks: What do we know and what do we need to know?" Advances of Complex Systems 12, 2009 (joint with Frank Schweitzer, Giorgio Fagiolo, Didier Sornette, and Douglas R. White).
- "Homophily, Conformity, and Noise in the (Co-)Evolution of Complex Social Networks in A. Reggiani and P. Nijkamp (eds.), Complexity and Spatial Networks", Advances in Spatial Science, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2009 (joint with George Ehrhard and Matteo Marsili).
- "Emergence and resilience of social networks: a general theoretical framework,"Annales d'Economie et Statistique 86, 2008 (joint with George Ehrhard and Matteo Marsili).
- "Structural holes in social networks," Journal of Economic Theory 137, 2007 (joint with Sanjeev Goyal).
- "Diffusion and growth in an evolving network," International Journal of Game Theory 34, 2006 (joint with George Ehrhard and Matteo Marsili).
- "Building up social capital in a changing world," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 30, 2006.
- "Phenomenological models of socioeconomic network dynamics," Physical Review E 74, 2006 (joint with George Ehrhard and Matteo Marsili).
- "Clustering, Cooperation, and Search in Social Networks," Journal of the European Economic Association 3, 2005 (joint with Matteo Marsili and Frantisek Slanina).
- "Network formation and social coordination," Games and Economic Behavior 50, 2005 (joint with Sanjeev Goyal).
- "On the Non-Trivial Dynamics of Complex Networks," Physica A 346, 2005 (joint with Ginestra Bianconi and Matteo Marsili).
- "On the rise and fall of networked societies," American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings 779, 2005 (joint with George Ehrhard and Matteo Marsili).
- "Self-organized-critical network dynamics," American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings 776, 2005 (joint with Ginestra Bianconi and Matteo Marsili).
- "Network formation and anti-coordination games," International Journal of Game Theory 33, 2004 (joint with Yann Bramoulle, Sanjeev Goyal, and Dunia López-Pintado).
- "Migration and the evolution of conventions," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 55, 2004 (joint with V. Bhaskar).
- "The rise and fall of a networked society: a formal model," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A. 101, 2004 (joint with Matteo Marsili and Frantisek Slanina).
- "Search and congestion in complex networks," XVIII Sitges Conference on Statistical Mechanics, R. Pastor-Satorras, M. Rubi, and A. Díaz-Guilera (eds.), Springer Verlag 2003 (joint with A. Arenas, A. Cabrales, A. Díaz-Guilera, and R. Guimerà).
- "Learning to play in a (stylized) Chinos game," in Modelling Complex Systems, P.L. Garrido and J. Marro (eds.), American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings 661, 2003 (joint with L. Pastor-Abia, E. San-Fabián, and E. Louis).
- "Optimal network topologies for local search with congestion," Physical Review Letters 89, 2002 (joint with R. Guimerà, A. Díaz-Guilera, A. Cabrales, and A. Arenas).
- "Self-organized criticality in evolutionary systems with local interaction," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 26, 2002 (joint with A. Arenas, A. Díaz-Guilera, and C. Pérez).
- "Asynchronous choice and Markov equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory 103, 2002 (joint with V. Bhaskar).
- "New results in a self-organized model of technological evolution," Advances in Complex Systems 4, 2001 (joint with G. Oron, A. Arenas, A. Díaz-Guilera, M. Llas, and C. Pérez).
- "On the evolution of individualistic preferences: complete versus incomplete information scenarios," Journal of Economic Theory 97, 2001 (joint with Efe Ok).
- "Strategic behavior and information transmission in a stylized (so-called Chinos) guessing game," Advances in Complex Systems 4, 2001 (joint with L. Pastor-Abia, J.M. Pérez Jordá, E. San-Fabián, and E. Louis).
- "Self-organized evolution in socio-economic environments," Physical Review E 61, 2000 (joint with A. Arenas, A. Díaz-Guilera, and C. Pérez).
- "Unfolding social hierarchies," Journal of Economic Theory 90, 2000.
- "Markets under bounded rationality: from theory to facts," Investigaciones Económicas 23, 1999.
- "Convergence of aspirations and (partial) cooperation in the Prisoner's Dilemma," International Journal of Game Theory 28, 1999 (joint with F. Palomino).
- "An evolutionary model of market structure," in The Theory of Markets, ed. by J.-J. Herings, A.J.J. Talman, and G. van der Laan, Amsterdam: North Holland, 1999 (joint with C. Alós-Ferrer and A.B. Ania).
- "Industrial dynamics, path dependence, and technological change," Spanish Economic Review 1, 1999.
- "Externalities, expectations, and growth," Economic Theory 14, 1999.
- "Evolving aspirations and cooperation," Journal of Economic Theory 80, 1998 (joint with R. Karandikar, D. Mookherjee, and D. Ray).
- "Multilevel evolution in games," International Journal of Game Theory 27, 1998 (joint with José Canals).
- "Shaping long-run expectations in problems of coordination," European Journal of Political Economy 13, 1997.
- "The evolution of Walrasian Behavior," Econometrica 65, 1997.
- "Long-run efficiency in evolutionary games with random matching," Journal of Economic Theory 70, 1996 (joint with Arthur Robson).
- "Long-run cooperation in the one-shot Prisoner's Dilemman: a hierarchic evolutionary approach," Biosystems 37, 1996.
- "Pollination and reward: a game-theoretic approach," Games and Economic Behavior 12, 1996.
- "Technological change and market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization 14, 1995.
- "Public subscription and private contributions," Social Choice and Welfare 12, 1995.
- "Expectations, drift, and volatility in evolutionary games," Games and Economic Behavior 11, 1995.
- "The dynamics and revealed preference of status-quo optimality", Economic Theory 6, 1995.
- "Technological change and path dependence: a two-country co-evolutionary model," Journal of Evolutionary Economics 4, 1994.
- "Technological change and path dependence," in Catching up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind, edited by J. Fargerberg, N. von Tunzelman and B. Verspagen, Edward Elgar, 1994.
- "Bayesian boundedly rational agents play the repeated Prisoner's Dilemma," Theory and Decision 36, 1994.
- "Games with chaging payoffs: comments," in The Economies of Growth and Technological Change, edited by J. Silverger and Luc Soete, Edward Elgar, 1994.
- "Technological change and institutional inertia: a game-theoretic approach," Journal of Evolutionary Economics 3, 1993.
- "A theoretical model of predator-prey signalling," Journal of Theoretical Biology 160, 1993 (joint with Oren Hasson, junior author).
- Competition and culture in an evolutionary process of equilibrium selection: a simple example," Games and Economic Behavior 5, 1993.
- "Simple and inertial behavior: an optimizing model with imprecise perceptions," Economic Theory 3, 1993.
- "The phenomenon of unemployment: its persistence and rationing," Revista Española de Economía 7, 1990.
- "Implementation of Lindahl Equilibrium: an integration of the dynamic and static approaches," Mathematical Social Sciences 18, 1990.
- "Extrapolative expectations and market stability," International Economic Review 30, 1989.
- "Efficiency and nonlinear pricing in nonconvex environments with externalities," Journal of Economic Theory 40, 1987.
- "Nash implementation of the Lindahl performance correspondence: an impossibility result," Economic Letters 19, 1985.
5.3 Articles: Spanish publications
- "Puede sobrevivir el homo oeconomicus en una sociedad compleja," Revista Española de Física 28, 2014 (joint with Antonio Cabrales).
- "Evolución en teoría de juegos, y viceversa," Anthropos 182, 1999.
- Foreword to ¿Que inventen ellos? Tecnología, empresa y cambio económico en la España contemporánea, edited by Santiago M. López García y Jesús M. Valdaliso, Alianza Editorial, 1997.
- "Crónica de un galardón anunciado," Cuadernos Económicos del ICE, enero 1995.
- "Evolución y estrategia: teoría de juegos con agentes limitados y un contexto cambiante," Hacienda Pública 125, 1993.
- "Competencia intergubernamental en un estado federal," Revista Española de Economía 9, 1992 (joint with Roberto Burguet).
- "Incentivos y eficiencia en mecanismos de asignación de recursos: un problema de diseño," in Nuevas Perspectivas de Teoría Económica, edited by R. Marimón and X. Calsamiglia, Ariel, 1991.
- "El sistema de financiación autonómica como un proceso de negociación," Investigaciones Económicas 14, 1990 (joint with Roberto Burguet).
- "Amenazas increibles, percepciones insostenibles: refinamientos del equilibrio de Nash," Cuadernos Españoles de Economía del ICE 40, 1988.
- "El crecimiento potencial de la economía española: un modelo basado en las tablas input-output de 1975," in La Estructura Productiva Española, Fondo para la Investigación Económica y Social de la Confederación Española de Cajas de Ahorro, 1980 (joint with Carlos Sebastián, Luis Servén, Miguel Sebastián and Iñigo Zapater).
- “Preface to the Special Issue on ‘Systemic Risk: Models and Mechanisms’, ” Operations Research 64, 2016 (joint with Cont, R., D. Duffie, P. Glasserman, C. Rogers).
- "Being close to grow faster – A network-based empirical analysis of economic globalization, " in Networks for Prosperity: Connecting Development Knowledge Beyond 2015, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), 2012 (joint with Georg Duernecker and Moritz Meyer).
- "Learning and Evolutionary Game Theory," in Optimization and Operations Research, edited by Ulrich Derigs in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), UNESCO and EOLSS, EOLSS Publishers, Oxford, UK, 2002.
- "Evolutionary games and learning," in Optimization and Operations Research, edited by Ulrich Derigs in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), UNESCO and EOLSS, EOLSS Publishers, Oxford, UK, 2002 (joint with Luis R. Izquierdo and Segismundo S. Izquierdo).
- "Nash Equilibrium," in An Eponymous Dictionary of Economics, edited by J. Segura and C. Rodríguez Braun, Cheltenhan, UK: Edward Elgar, 2004.
- Review of the book Evolutionary Games and Equilibrium Selection by Larry Samuelson (MIT Press, 1997), Journal of Economic Literature 36, 1998.