Insegnamenti a.a. 2022/2023
Valeria Giacomin is Assistant Professor at the Department of Social and Political Sciences at Bocconi University.
Previously she held post-doctoral fellowships at Harvard Business School and Marshall Business School (USC). She received her PhD from Copenhagen Business School with a thesis on the development of the palm oil cluster in Southeast Asia.
Her research focuses on global history of commodity markets in Southeast Asia; clusters in historical perspective; and business history of emerging markets since the 19th century. Recently Valeria started new projects on historical entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial ecosystems.
- Assistant Professor, Bocconi University
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Greif Center, University of Southern California
- Newcomen Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Business School
- PhD in Organization and Management, Copenhagen Business School
- MA Southeast Asian Studies at SOAS, University of London
- MSc DDIM International Business Bocconi University / Fudan University
- BSc Economics & Finance (CLEF) Bocconi University
Awards and Honors
Aree di interesse scientifico
Business and Global History; Historical Entrepreneurship; Economic Geography
Peer reviewed articles
- Giacomin,V., Jones, G., and Salvaj E. (2020), Business Leaders and Investment in Education: Evidence from Emerging Markets since the 1960s, Business History, forthcoming. https://doi.org/10.1080/00076791.2019.1675641
- Giacomin, V., (2018). The transformation of the global palm oil cluster: dynamics of cluster competition between Africa and Southeast Asia (c. 1900-1970), Journal of Global History, 13(3): 374-398. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1740022818000207
- Giacomin, V., (2018). The emergence of an export cluster: Traders and palm oil in early 20th century Southeast Asia, Enterprise and Society,19(2): 272-308. https://doi.org/10.1017/eso.2017.10
Chapters in edited volumes
- Giacomin, V., (2019). Clusters as spaces for global integration. In (eds.) da Silva Lopes T., Lubinski C., & Tworek, H., The RoutledgeCompanion to the Makers of Global Business, 264-278, Routledge.
- Giacomin, V., (2019). Singapore: Global City ante litteram in early 20th century Southeast Asia. In (eds.) Webster,T., & White, N.J., Singapore - Two Hundred Years of the Lion City, 61-79, Routledge.