ELIANA LA FERRARA
Eliana La Ferrara è titolare della Cattedra Fondazione Romeo ed Enrica Invernizzi in Development Economics. Ha conseguito il PhD in Economics presso l’università di Harvard (1999) e la laurea in Scienze Economiche e Sociali presso l’Università Bocconi (1993). Le sue ricerche riguardano tematiche relative allo sviluppo e al ruolo di fattori politici e sociali in economia e sono state pubblicate in prestigiose riviste quali The Quarterly Journal of Economics, American Economic Review, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics e Journal of the European Economic Association. Ha ottenuto inoltre diversi grant dallo European Research Council (ERC) and dalla Commissione Europea.
- Direttore Scientifico del Laboratory for Effective AntiPoverty Policies (LEAP).
- Presidente del Bureau for Research in Economic Analysis of Development (BREAD), 2016-2019.
- Presidente della European Economic Association per l'anno 2018
- Econometric Society Fellow
- Membro della American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- JPAL Affiliate
- Fellow del Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), dell' Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research (IGIER) dello European Development Research Network (EUDN).
Aree di interesse scientifico
Economia dello sviluppo, political economics, economia pubblica.
- “The Political Economy of Program Enforcement: Evidence from Brazil” (with F. Brollo and K. Kaufmann), Journal of the European Economic Association, forthcoming.
- “Conflict, Climate and Cells: A Disaggregated Analysis” (with M. Harari), Review of Economics and Statistics, 100(4), 594-608, 2018.
- “Customary Norms, Inheritance and Human Capital. Evidence from a Reform of the Matrilineal System in Ghana” (with A. Milazzo), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 9(4), 166-85, 2017.
- “Market-based Lobbying: Evidence from Advertising Spending in Italy” (with S. DellaVigna, R. Durante and B. Knight), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2016.
- “A Test of Racial Bias in Capital Sentencing” (with A. Alesina), American Economic Review, 2014.
- “Soap Operas and Fertility: Evidence from Brazil” (with A. Chong and S. Duryea), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2012.
- “Detecting Illegal Arms Trade” (with S. DellaVigna), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2010.
- “Diamonds Are Forever, Wars Are Not. Is Conflict Bad for Private Firms?” (with M. Guidolin), American Economic Review, 2007.
- “Descent Rules and Strategic Transfers. Evidence from Matrilineal Groups in Ghana”, Journal of Development Economics, 2007.
- “Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance” (with A. Alesina), Journal of Economic Literature, 2005.
- "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities" (with A. Alesina), Journal of Public Economics, 2005.
- "Kin Groups and Reciprocity: A Model of Credit Transactions in Ghana", American Economic Review, 2003.
- "Inequality and Group Participation: Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania", Journal of Public Economics, 2002.
- "Who Trusts Others?" (with A. Alesina), Journal of Public Economics, 2002.
- "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities" (with A. Alesina), The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2000.