20495 - HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT AND POLICY
CLMG - M - IM - MM - AFC - CLEFIN-FINANCE - CLELI - ACME - DES-ESS - EMIT - GIO
Department of Social and Political Sciences
Course taught in English
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - M
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - IM
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - MM
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - AFC
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - CLEFIN-FINANCE
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - CLELI
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - ACME
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - DES-ESS
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - EMIT
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07) - GIO
(6 credits - I sem. - OP | SECS-P/07)
Health is a critical factor for the economic development and it is an essential component of human wellbeing. Given its relevance both in developed countries (for instance, in Italy, healthcare - and social care - costs count on average for more than 70% of Regional budgets, the national health system is the second largest employer of civil servants - more than 700.000 - and health direct or related activities such as pharmaceutical industries, support services, hospital building firms, technology providers, etc. are the major flying-wheel of local economies) and developing countries, the healthcare sector is under pressure all over the world to control financial dynamics and improve efficiency and quality of services. Healthcare organizations are the most complex, given their professional nature (more than 70% of employees have or will have a bachelor degree), the use of intensive and high-profile technology, the social impact of their services and the strong ties with the political system. To prepare students to become skilled in healthcare policy and management, the course provides a deep analysis of the main issues that make unique the health industry. Therefore, after the successful completion of the course, students can expect
- To understand the main features and dynamics of health and social care systems.
- To develop his/her skills in healthcare management and policy through an intensive programme made of lectures, case histories and discussions, role playing and guest speakers.
For a more in-depth understanding of the topics that are discussed, students can look also at the web site of the master Mihmep (http://www.sdabocconi.it/en/specialized-master-full-time-executive/mihmep), given the fact this course is built on same contents of that master.
Course Content Summary
The course addresses management challenges and policy issues emerging at international level as well as in the Italian context. It includes traditional lectures, guest speaker presentations and case discussions, role playing and action-learning. It is designed around three main blocks.
Part A: governance of health and social care systems.
- Main arrangements of health and social care systems in industrialised countries: a comparative analysis of US, Germany and United Kingdom.
- Issues in healthcare and social care policy and management in developing countries.
- The Italian NHS: basic principles, institutional arrangements and reforms; the emergence of regional models.
Part B: management of Health & Social Care organizations.
- Institutional arrangements and organisational structures of health care organisations.
- Professionalism: organisational behaviour and human resource management in health care.
- Management systems, tools and techniques for healthcare organisations.
- Emerging managerial roles: controller, operations manager, human resources manager, risk manager, marketing and fund-raising manager, buyer, business planner, etc.
Part C: industries related to health sector.
- Business-government relations in the healthcare field.
- Management issues in the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry.
- Consulting skills for the healthcare sector.
Detailed Description of Assessment Methods
For attending students
Exam sessions for attending students are scheduled in January and February.
For non attending students
- Groupwork on a case.
- Written exam or final paper on a specific topic.
Textbook and course readings to be defined and communicated by professor.
Further suggested reading:
- F. LEGA, Leadership e management delle aziende sanitarie, Egea, 2016.
Last change 23/03/2017 10:40