30298 - DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT AND POLICY
CLEAM - CLEF - CLEACC - BESS-CLES - BIEMF
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
This course addresses the main arguments to understand why diversity is key for policy-making and organizations, focusing in particular on the gender dimension. It also discusses the more effective measures to promote diversity.
- The debate on diversity, gender equality, new perspectives on diversity policies and management.
- Gender Gaps : Scenario, Determinants , Consequences, The role of policies and institutions
- Recent perspectives: Womenomics, the origins of gender gaps (Historical determinants ), Gender identity and social norms, Psychological and socio-psychological factors (Experimental evidence), labour market and theories of discrimination, Female leadership and outcomes.
- Policies in favour of female occupation: Family policies, subsidized child care and the welfare state; Motherhood, female occupation and fertility; Maternity, paternity and parental leaves; Tax design; Labour market; Pension design and implications.
- Policies to promote female leadership and women in decision-making: Affirmative action, The debate on gender quotas: politics, business; Gender quotas on boards: the case of Norway and Italy.
- Understanding gender stereotypes: Conceptual approaches; Descriptive, prescriptive, and proscriptive stereotypes; Implicit stereotypes; How are stereotypes determined; Are gender stereotypes changing? How are stereotypes perpetuated.
- Effects of gender on women’s own behavior in organizations and on others’ attitudes and behaviour towards women in organizations: Negotiations; Performance; Opting out of the workforce: work-family conflict; Undervaluing women’s skills and contributions: Discrimination in hiring and the glass ceiling; Queen bee effect; Sexual harassment
- Non-gender stereotypes: their origins and perpetuation
- Effects of non-gender stereotypes (racial, religious, LGBT) on hiring, performance evaluations, impression management, conflict in the workplace
- What can minnorities and organizations do to manage diversity more effectively? Behavior modification, training, mentoring and other initiatives